OM SYSTEM M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40MM F/2.8 PRO II LENS SUMMARY
To coincide with the launch of the flagship OM-1 Camera Body is this compact OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens for micro four thirds. It offers a versatile standard zoom range with fixed aperture, equivalent to 24-80mｍ in full frame, adding an extra 10mm onto the classic 24-70mm range.
The lens boasts robust build quality with class-leading IP53 weather resistance when combined with the OM-1, together with being freeze-proof down to -10°C. Image quality is exceptional thanks to a new optical formula, which includes no less than 9 special glass elements in a mix of 14 elements arranged in 9 groups.
The 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO mark 2 has been refined to render high resolution results required by 80 megapixel images which the flagship MFT camera is capable of. Results are superb, with the lens perfectly suited to a huge variety of subjects from landscape photography to portraits, video, architecture and as a general purpose optic.
- Compact, lightweight and versatile MFT zoom (24-80mｍ equivalent in full frame format)
- Exceptional image quality from 14 elements in 9 groups with 9 special lens elements
- IP53 weather resistance when paired with a weather resistant body
- High speed imager AF (MSC) system
- Bright, constant f/2.8 aperture with 7-bladed circular diaphragm
- Fluorine and ZERO coatings
- Cost effective 62mm filter thread
- Close 0.2m minimum focusing distance
OM SYSTEM M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-40MM F/2.8 PRO II LENS IN MORE DETAIL
STRESS-FREE SHOOTING WITH RELIABLE PERFORMANCE
Advanced IP53 dust-proof and splash-proof sealing, together with freeze-proof performance down to -10°C ensure the OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens far exceeds conventional IPX1 ratings.
The lens will also function in low-temperature environments down to -10°C, making it possible to continue shooting in punishing environments such as rain, snow and even dusty terrain with complete peace of mind.
OM-1. Camera settings 1/250 sec. f/2.8. ISO 640 at 40mm
In addition to water, oil, and dust repellent performance, a fluorine coating on the front lens element is effective in reducing friction. Both this and the Digital ED 40-150mm f/4 PRO which was launched at the same time, can easily be cleaned with a dust blower or lens cleaning cloth when it gets dirty, allowing users to continue shooting immediately.
EXCEPTIONAL IMAGE QUALITY
An optical design includes 14 elements in 9 groups for excellent resolution across the entire zoom range from wide to tele. This MFT lens employs an optical design with 14 elements in 9 groups (1 EDA lens, 2 aspherical lens, 1 DSA lens, 2 ED lens, 1 HD lens, 2 HR lens). There are 4 aspherical lenses including a DSA element placed to achieve a compact, lightweight form and superior imaging performances expected from PRO lenses.
The special elements compensate for aberrations that occur when zooming, resulting in high resolution from the centre of the frame right to the edges and across the entire zoom range. This high-performance standard zoom fully utilises the high image quality performance of the camera body when using High Res Shot mode.
OM-1. Camera settings 1.3 sec. f/8. ISO 200 at 17mm
CLEARER, SHARPER IMAGING THAN EVER BEFORE
The latest manufacturing techniques suppress surface scattering on aspherical lenses, significantly reducing flaring when compared to conventional optics, which results in clearer imaging performance. ZERO coating (Zuiko Extra-low Reflection Optical), improves resistance to backlighting with subjects lit from behind.
WHAT’S IN THE BOX
- OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO II Lens
- Lens Cap (LC-62G)
- Lens Rear Cap
- Lens Hood (LH-66D)
- Wrapping Cloth
- Instruction Manual
- Warranty Card
- Tiffen 62mm variable ND filter – this VND is perfect for adjusting the amount of light entering the lens for video and long exposures
- Hoya 62mm Ultra Pro Circular Polariser – Cut back glare and reflections from wet surfaces when shooting outdoor landscapes and other subjects
- Hoya 62mm UX II UV Filter – protect the expensive front lens element from accidental damage as well as compensating for ultraviolet light
- B+W Master Clear Filter MRC Nano 62mm – pure front lens protection with zero filtration