AI Processing Unit
- Human, which tracks body and head positions for accurate portraits. Real-time Eye AF performance has also been improved by 60% thanks to the human pose estimation capabilities.
- Animal, Bird, and Animal/Bird modes are now 40% more accurate for tracking and recognizing a variety of animal types. Recognition of these subjects includes dogs, cats, birds and more, with the ability to pinpoint focus on eyes and recognize animal bodies and heads.
- Insect recognition offers even finer performance with the ability to detect the head or entire insect subject.
- Car/Train and Airplane recognition means the camera can detect the front part of a train, nose of an airplane, or easily detect the entire fast-moving subject.
Real-time Tracking benefits from AI-based subject recognition for following moving subjects, making it particularly well-suited to sports and action subjects. Also, Human pose estimation allows the camera to distinguish between multiple people and maintain focus on the targeted subject; even if someone crosses in front, the camera maintains focus on the key person.
- Covering 79% of the full-frame image area, or 100% of the APS-C cropped area, a Fast Hybrid AF system incorporates a dense 693 phase-detection point grid for quick and precise focusing in a variety of lighting conditions with sensitivity down to -4 EV. This focusing system is available for use in all recording modes, to benefit both video and stills applications.
- Full-time DMF (Direct Manual Focus) enables using the lens’s focus ring for manual focus control at any time, making it easier to switch focus to a different subject even when working with AF.
- For photographic moving subjects, this AF system keeps up with the top 10 fps continuous shooting speeds, offering full-time AF tracking between each consecutive frame.
- In-camera Focus Bracketing is possible, with the ability to record up to 299 frames with sequentially shifted focus points for creating composite images during post-production with greater-than-possible depth of field.
- Real-time Eye AF is fully supported during video recording, for subject detection and tracking of human, animal, and bird eyes while shooting.
- Focus Map is a unique way of visualizing depth of field and functions in a similar way to peaking with a colorful overlay of the scene that indicates which parts of the scene are in front of and behind the focus point depending on the chosen aperture.
- A feature carried over from the FX6 digital cine camera, AF Assist lets you intuitively switch over to manual focus control for adjusting focus position when working with AF. This is a quick way to shift selective focus between various subjects in a scene while recording.
- A unique solution to compensate for how certain lenses perform when racking focus, Focus Breathing compensation will automatically smooth focus transitions and maintain a consistent field of view when changing the focus position during a shot. This mode crops into the image slightly and corrects for any detected shifts in composition when focusing is happening. This function is compatible with select E-mount lenses, check Breathing Compensation lens compatibility here.
- Making use of the high-resolution sensor and fast processing capabilities, UHD 8K 24p and UHD 4K 60p XAVC HS 10-bit video recording is possible using the full width of the sensor with full pixel readout for impressive sharpness and realism.
- If using a Super 35 crop, full pixel readout recording is possible at up to UHD 4K at frame rates up to 30p or 6.2K oversampling can be used for greater sharpness and detail.
- Internal 10-bit 4:2:2 sampling is possible at up to 4K 60p in XAVC HS and XAVC S-I and, if recording externally via the full-size HDMI A port, 16-bit raw output can be used for even greater tonal reproduction and post-production flexibility.
- Raw output is supported at up to 4K 60p and simultaneous internal 4K recording is possible, too.
- The a7R V employs a pair of codecs to suit different workflows: XAVC HS, which uses HEVC/H.265 encoding to retain more detail at smaller bitrates and XAVC S-I, which is an intraframe codec for consistent performance and quality at higher bitrates.
- If recording in Full HD, high-speed, 120 fps recording enables 4x and 5x slow-motion movie recording with the frame rate playback set to either 30p or 24p.
- No recording time limit allows for unlimited clip lengths and the camera’s physical design features an improved heat-dissipating structure to promote longer possible recording times.
- S-Cinetone can be used to deliver distinct colors and healthy-looking skin tone rendering that matches the FX9, FX6, a1, and a7S III cameras and is based on technology from the professional Cinema Line cameras, such as the VENICE. This color profile offers natural mid-tones, soft colors, and especially well-controlled highlights.
- Affording extensive customizable color and gamma controls, the you can adjust the gamma, black level, knee, color level, and more. Also, users can use the same S-Log2 Gamma Curve that is found on high end Sony Cinema cameras that squeezes up to 1300% more dynamic range into the video signal then traditional REC709, for increased post-production flexibility.
- HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) support is also available, along with the BT.2020 color space, for recording within a wide color gamut and, in addition to S-Log2, S-Log3 is also available for producing a 15+-stop dynamic range with increased grading control in the shadow to mid-tone regions of the image.
- Sporting a new, more functional LCD design, the a7R V has a 4-axis multi-angle LCD monitor that combines the best assets of both tilting and side-open/flip-out vari-angle designs.
- This 3.2″ 2.1m-dot LCD also has a touchscreen design and a DCI-P3 wide gamut for accurate color monitoring.
- An impressive QXGA OLED Tru-Finder EVF features a high 9.44m-dot resolution and 0.9x magnification for exceptionally bright, clear, and detailed eye-level viewing.
- The EVF permits 120 fps playback for smooth motion rendering and the finder’s physical design has a long 25mm eye point, 41° field of view, and features a fluorine coating on the outermost viewfinder element to benefit cleaning.
- Dual memory card slots both accept either CFexpress Type A or SD-type memory cards. The dual slot design allows for flexible file saving and handling and can be configured to partition file types or can be used for overflow recording. Additionally, both of the card slots are rated to support UHS-II memory cards for faster transfer speeds.
- Accepts the high-capacity NP-FZ100 rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which provides approximately 440 shots/90 minutes of recording per charge when using the viewfinder or 530 shots/100 minutes of recording per charge when using the rear LCD.
- Magnesium alloy chassis assures rigidity, durability, and stability while remaining lightweight. The lens mount has also been improved to better support heavy lenses, and the grip rigidity has been improved for more comfortable hand-holding.
- Extensive weather-sealing, including enhanced sealing around the battery cover, terminal cover, and chassis joints, has been employed to resist dust and moisture for reliable operation in harsh weather conditions.
- Full-size HDMI A port offers a more reliable connection when working with external recorders.
- A USB-C 3.2 Gen 2 port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB-C connection allows the camera to be charged or powered from the host power source while connected.
- PC sync terminal for wired flash sync with strobe packs or wireless radio remotes.
- Both 3.5mm headphone and external microphone ports facilitate greater control over audio recording.
- Multi Interface Shoe supports working with the optional ECM-B1M Shotgun Microphone or XLR-K3M XLR Adapter Kit, which provide improved, clear audio recording sound by sending a digital audio signal to the camera, opposed to an analog signal.
- Built-in Wi-Fi and NFC enables the a7R V to instantly share imagery to mobile devices for direct sharing online, and support for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands also enables wireless tethered shooting support. Also, the 5 GHz band supports 2×2 MIMO for fast communication speeds and dual antennas ensure a reliable connection.
- Bluetooth connectivity allows for location data acquisition.
- Supports 4K webcam use and is UVC/UAC compliant for simple operation. Internal recording is also supported while live streaming.
- USB-C port, when used in conjunction with an optional USB-Ethernet adapter, offers up to 1000BASE-T speeds for quick wired LAN sharing and remote operation.
- Imaging Edge Remote for desktop supports PC Remote shooting via the Wi-Fi connection or tethered by the wired USB-C port. An updated data transfer control also makes it possible to transfer files from an SD card over Wi-Fi using the Imaging Edge Mobile app even when the camera is powered off.A newly developed AI processing unit
State-of-the-art AI processing with deep learning uses detailed information about human forms and poses to dramatically improve the camera’s subject recognition accuracy and make full use of its potential resolution. AI subject recognition has been expanded to include a number of new subject types, including vehicles and insects.
A new level of resolution
This newest generation of the α7R series continues the pursuit of high image resolution, delivering the highest resolution at low sensitivity in the series thus far. The 35mm full-frame back-illuminated Exmor R™ CMOS image sensor with 61.0 million16 pixels and the latest BIONZ XR™ image processing engine are used to their fullest potential to deliver extraordinary resolution and fine subject detail.
Advanced optical 5-axis image stabilisation
The entire image stabilisation system has been updated with a high-precision image stabilisation unit, advanced gyro sensors, and optimised image stabilisation algorithms. Camera shake is precisely detected and corrected by the image stabilisation unit, significantly expanding the range of shooting situations in which reliable stabilisation can be achieved. The body alone provides 8-step stabilisation17 for the first time in the α series.  Yaw  Roll  Pitch
Pixel Shift Multi Shooting responds to changing conditions
Pixel Shift Multi Shooting takes advantage of precision in-body image stabilisation system control, capturing up to 16 pixel-shifted shots to be later composited on a computer to achieve outstanding resolution in a single image18. With the latest version of Imaging Edge Desktop™ software, small pixel-level movements are automatically detected and corrected
Selectable RAW image sizes and quality
Lossless RAW image compression allows more high-quality images to be shot in continuous bursts, with a choice of three lossless-compression image sizes. The M and S sizes have the same number of pixels (26M/15M) whether shot in full-frame or APS-C mode, making it possible to seamlessly switch between full frame and APS-C angles of view within the same scene while maintaining the same image resolution.
Precise, versatile external flash control
When a compatible Sony external flash unit20 is used with the camera’s auto white balance function, the white balance is adjusted to produce natural skin tones on faces based on the balance between the flash output and ambient light. Flash control also works with face detection to deliver the optimum flash level for the subject.
Real-time Recognition AF for human
With its innovative AI processing unit, the α7R V can use Real-time Recognition AF to accurately recognise movements of people, providing an approximately 60% improvement in human eye recognition21 compared to the α7R IV. Human pose estimation technology uses learned human forms and poses to recognise not just eyes but body and head position with high precision, making it possible to lock onto and track a subject facing away from the camera or wearing a mask.
Faster, more precise AF system
The immense processing power of the new BIONZ XR engine and updated algorithms achieve notably improved AF performance, drawing on the huge amount of data generated by the image sensor and the wide-area, high-density AF system. Up to 693 phase detection points cover approximately 79% of the image area. The wider AF area also allows greater framing freedom, for example when shooting portraits in vertical orientation. High AF precision is achieved down to light levels as low as EV -4.0 in AF-S mode (ISO 100 equivalent, F2.0 lens).
Real-time Recognition AF for wider range of subjects
In addition to humans, animals, and birds, the camera can now recognise insects, cars, trains and airplanes, providing even greater flexibility and reliability when shooting both stills and movies. More types of birds are recognised, and animal recognition has been expanded to cover some grazing and small animals in addition to dogs, cats, and similarly featured animals, with up to 40% greater precision.
Even with the high resolution of the α7R V, continuous shooting at up to 10 fps with full AF/AE tracking is possible with the mechanical shutter. This level of speed and tracking reliability makes it easy to capture the most photogenic moments and expressions with moving subjects. Up to 583 compressed RAW images can be continuously shot at 10 fps.
The α7R V will automatically shoot up to 299 images with sequentially shifted focus points using intervals and a sequence that you specify. The best image can then be selected from the sequence, or a computer application can combine the focus bracketed images to create focus-stacked composites with deeply synthesised depth of field that take advantage of the camera’s high resolution.
When shooting stills with AF-C or AF-S autofocus, the lens’s focus ring can be rotated to switch to manual focus mode at any time. This makes it easy to return focus to the original subject if AF switches to a different subject, for example, by simply rotating the focus ring.
Full-pixel readout for 8K movies with incredible resolution
The XAVC HS format enables in-camera recording of high-resolution 8K 24p (25p)23 movies with efficient HEVC/H.265 compression, bringing out the very best in Sony’s lenses and taking full advantage of the potential resolution provided by the sensor and full-pixel readout. Even the finest subject details are faithfully captured. The ability to reframe 8K footage in post-production for 4K delivery affords invaluable editing flexibility as well24.
16-bit RAW output for enhanced editing flexibility
In response to the increasing demand for RAW recording capability, the α7R V provides 16-bit RAW output to an external recorder27 via an HDMI cable. Full-frame 3848 x 2168 (16:9 aspect ratio) output is available with a choice of frame rates28. It is also possible to output RAW via HDMI while recording XAVC HS 4K, XAVC S 4K, or XAVC S-I 4K to internal card media. Proxy recording is also available.
Outstanding 4K movie recording
Full-frame and Super 35mm formats can be selected for 4K movie recording, as can 4K 60p (50p)25 recording. Full pixel readout in the Super 35mm mode without the need for pixel binning makes 2.6x oversampling possible for 4K movies. The XAVC S-I (All-Intra), or the XAVC HS format is supported, as is 10-bit 4:2:2 colour sampling
S-Log3 gamma curve with 14+ stops of latitude
The S-Log3 gamma curve emphasises gradation characteristics from shadows to mid-gray (18% gray), achieving up to 14+ stops of latitude. Three colour gamut settings are provided: S-Gamut, S-Gamut3, and S-Gamut3.Cine. These advanced settings make it easy to match footage shot on the α7R V with footage shot on VENICE and VENICE 2 digital cinema cameras or FX series cameras equipped with S-Log3 gamma curve settings, for smooth, efficient editing
Active Mode image stabilisation for handheld movie shooting
Active Mode29 provides strong image stabilisation for handheld movie shooting. In addition to in-body stabilisation, compatible lenses with their own built-in image stabilisation coordinate with the camera body for highly effective control, allowing even handheld telephoto shots
Real-time Tracking for movies
Thanks to substantial improvements in subject recognition, the camera can provide more reliable Real-time Tracking, keeping track of specified subjects with precise focus, including focus on the subject’s eyes. Subject recognition is now enabled for movie shoots as well as still-image photography, for fast, stable focus when shooting. Even with subject recognition OFF, touch operation allows subjects to be acquired and tracked based on colour, pattern (luminance) and distance (depth).
Unique 4-axis LCD monitor for enhanced shooting flexibility
Sony’s newly developed 4-axis multi-angle monitor combines the utility of a conventional tilting monitor with side-opening vari-angle flexibility. It allows greater flexibility in shooting by providing unrestricted angle adjustment in both horizontal and vertical orientations31.
Touch operations when shooting or during playback
The Touch Focus, Touch Tracking and Touch Shutter functions can be quickly activated or deactivated by touching an icon on the shooting display. During playback images can be selected by touch, and pinch-out/pinch-in gestures can be used to enlarge or reduce the selected image. Touch sensitivity can be adjusted for optimum control response.
Designed for smooth movie making
Focus Map30 makes it easier to visualise depth of field when shooting movies. In addition, a bold, clearly visible red frame appears on screen when recording is in progress. Shot Marks can be added to recorded movie clips in-camera to identify particular scenes.
PC Remote shooting via wireless LAN (Wi-Fi)
The camera can be connected to a computer via Wi-Fi for wireless PC Remote (tethered) shooting using the “Remote” function of Sony’s latest Imaging Edge Desktop application, giving the user greater freedom of movement on location or in the studio. 2.4 GHz or 5GHz14 Wi-Fi bands can be selected as required. In addition to wirelessly connecting the camera directly to the PC, the ability to connect via a wireless access point adds the flexibility needed to work in a variety of network environments.
Effective heat dissipation for extended recording times
Heat generated by the image sensor, image processor, and AI processing unit is effectively dissipated to prevent overheating. One element of this is the graphite material formed into a unique Σ (sigma) shape and built into the image stabilisation unit. This structure allows the image sensor, a major source of heat inside the body, to move freely during stabilisation while effectively conducting heat away, achieving five times better heat dissipation.
Fast Wi-Fi for PC tethering, FTP and smartphone transfers
Built-in Wi-Fi (IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac) allows communication on the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz14 bands. 802.11ac provides 2×2 MIMO support for fast and stable data transfer and reliable communication.
QXGA viewfinder with the highest resolution in its class
A 9.44 million-dot OLED electronic viewfinder delivers the highest resolution, with approximately 1.6 times the resolution of previous UXGA Tru-Finder™ viewfinders. It also features significantly improved optics and mechanical design, achieving world-record 0.90x viewfinder magnification, and a 41° diagonal FOV (approx. 43° for the entire display area).
Two CFexpress Type A compatible media slots
The α7R V has two media slots that support CFexpress Type A memory cards as well as UHS-I and UHS-II SDXC/SDHC, for high capacity and fast read/write speeds. The same data can be simultaneously recorded to both slots for backup, or the user can choose to separate stills/movies or JPEG (HEIF)/RAW formats. There is also a relay mode in which still image or movie recording will automatically switch to the second media card.
Durable magnesium alloy chassis, reliable mechanical shutter
A lightweight, high-rigidity magnesium alloy is used for the top cover, front cover, internal frame, and rear cover, with durable construction that keeps the camera operating smoothly in hard-working environments. A shutter unit with a fast-response motor minimises mechanical shutter vibration that can cause blur, while allowing high-speed continuous shooting at up to 10 fps. The shutter is quiet and has been tested for durability in excess of 500 000 shutter cycles.
Sony is working towards the use of non-plastic packaging materials, with plant-based non-woven fabrics as well as recyclable materials. As for the camera itself, no non-recyclable resources are used in our SORPLAS™ material32, which is repeatedly recyclable, durable, and high in quality. Recyclable plastics are also used as much as possible32, reducing stress on the environment without compromising performance or functionality in any way.
USB PD (Power Delivery) supports fast charging
The α7R V supports USB PD (Power Delivery), allowing higher power to be supplied from an external source. A USB charger or mobile battery that supports USB PD can be connected to the camera’s USB Type-C® port, supplying power or charging the internal battery at three to four times the rate of the previous model